Sunday, March 7, 2010

Stories to cultivate a peaceful world.

Today I just wanted to link to a post that I've found holds much food for thought. Annette has a wonderful blog and has written here with regards to her thoughts on what we need to consider when choosing stories for our children.

It can be so easy to fall into a rather ethnocentric trap when choosing stories, toys and experiences (even the language we use) for our children. I think it is crucial for the cultivation of a peaceful world that we as parents become mindful of the world we present to our children and avoid promoting (even unconsiously) the whole 'us and them' type dichotomy.

2 comments:

Kimmie said...

Thanks for this post. As the Mama of a China-born child, I can appreciate the need for all families to embrace colors and cultures.

Melissa said...

No problem. It is something I feel quite passionate about and am very grateful to have stumbled across annette's fantastic post!