Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Living simply

Over the last few days, I've been inspired to strip back our lives further and to strive to live simply. Sometimes it just feels like I'm buried beneath this modern world and need to replant myself into a more natural environment - the environment I'm built for!

The internet is a wonderful resource for finding out how to make anything and everything! I'm constantly amazed at how simple some of these things are to make and wonder why I've never looked into it before! It's like it's some big secret!


I was flicking through a friend's blog, which is the seed that started off this chain of thought. I thought I'd write a quick entry here on my findings so far.

I've just been looking at how to make goats cheese at home from this comprehensive site devoted to home made cheese recipies.


Another friend of mine, from whom I'm gaining lots of inspiration, has also put me on to some fantastic links to useful recipies, one of which I'll be eagerly trying out - natural toothpaste.

I've been making my own shampoo and deodorant for a while now too (not quite happy with the recipe, so will do a little more searching) I'm trying to figure out what to do for eco friendly/leather free shoes now... hmmmn

I've made contact with the LETS in our area, which I'm hoping will be a great avenue to go down for alternative trading.

After stumbling across this article and others by the same author, I've been reminded of what it means to truly simplify our lives. It is so easy to get caught in the trap of getting all the 'stuff', collecting old fashioned hand made thingamees and stocking up on the tools that I think are going to help me keep things simple. It is very tempting to want to fill up my time creating a million little things while overlooking the value of simply being with what is and being truly present. It is going to be interesting to find a balance that feels true for me. I think there will be a fine line between  being self sufficient and self erradicating! (I tend to go to extremes some times!)

I'm truly looking forward to this latest chapter in the life of my family. I can feel my inner world already opening up further as a result of this new found inspiration.

I have many more links which I'll post at some other time (a time when I'm not supposed to be in bed, perhaps!) - but here is just one last link that I'm really excited about. Home made Solar ovens, and here is another that I'm looking forward to purchasing over the coming months in the lead up to our simpler year ahead.



There is so much beauty in the simplest of things!

1 comment:

indigomumma said...

Love your words Melissa, and absolutely agree 150% with what you said about becoming too absorbed in living simply, that it becomes very complicated! I started to fall into that trap with our living simply plan, and have had to really re-evaluate what living simply means! I love your words reminding about the mindfulness to just be! Thank you